On average, commercial buildings waste 30% of their energy, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Imagine saving that 30% and investing it in some other way. Here’s a list of 5 ways to gain quick payback by improving your building’s energy use:
- Retro or Re-Commission: When it was built, your facility’s equipment was meant to run in certain ways. By retro-commissioning, you are able to ensure that everything is operating as it was intended to.
- Replace Lighting Fixtures: Do you have old fluorescent and incandescent lighting? Replace them with T-8 (or even T-5) fixtures, CFLs or LEDs, or other energy-efficient lighting systems. (Note that CFLs can last 10 times longer and cost around 75% less to operate.)
- Energy Audit: Identify areas that have become inefficient. Learn how you can improve your building’s systems and bring them back to efficiency.
- Refrigerators: Clean your refrigerator coils twice a year and replace door gaskets as needed. Also, retrofit your existing refrigerators and display cases with anti-sweat door heater controls and variable speed evaporator fan motors/controls. This will create more efficient refrigeration systems.
- HVAC: Upgrade and maintain your HVAC equipment regularly. Plug air leaks with weather stripping and caulking.
Need help with these methods? Use an energy service provider (like Benchmark Group) if you need assistance in identifying improvements for your building’s energy performance. Contact us today. We are ready to help!